How I can help you
I was founder, Architect, and owner of a very profitable 12-person national Accessibility Consulting / service business for the past 24 years. I have been enjoying being a SCORE Business Mentor since 2019.
My background as a licensed architect, project manager, business owner, and consultant trained me as a business generalist, because these fields necessitate a very broad range of skills, in addition to the technical content knowledge.
My experience is that owners of small businesses need to develop many competencies in order to be successful because small businesses do not have the specialty departments / staff of a larger business. A large component of my business required extensive internal mentoring, and external Client training was a common component of our consulting.
My clients included large national companies such as Equity Residential and AvalonBay, smaller developers, architects, building owners, public entities, attorneys, and commercial properties I have also been Project Manager of complex Architecture projects such as the US Embassy Complex in Moscow USSR and worked as an Owner's Representative in the banking industry. I have been a Board Member of Easter Seals WA, so I have some non-profit experience. Therefore, my experience is broad and deep.
As a SCORE Business Mentor, I can help you in these areas:
- Starting a business
- Business management
- High-level marking, sales, and strategic planning
- Operational and administrative management
- Basic Financial management and tools
- Proposals, contracts, and public sector procurement
- Architecture / Construction Issues
- ADA Accessibility Issues
You will find that I am a very straight-forward person, an easy communicator, a systems thinker, a ready learner, and someone who loves to laugh. I am also an audiophile and jazz record and CD collector who adores live music. I would look forward to assisting you.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Strategy & Planning
- Government & Regulations
- Business Operations
- Banking, Finance & Insurance
- Real Estate, Rental & Leasing
- Professional & Business Services
Education, Licenses, Boards, & Affiliations
- Licensed Architect since 1977; CA #C9203; WA #5376; AZ #45387; NV #7358
- The Management Program, University of Washington, Graduate School of Business Administration, May 1991
- Master of Architecture, University of Pennsylvania, 1973
- BA in Architecture Honors Program, University of Pennsylvania, 1970
- Member American Institute of Architects (AIA); Code Committee Member
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) #39334
- Guest Juror & Presenter for Univ. of Washington Architecture School, Universal Design Class 1998 and 2003, and Presenter - Accessibility Thematic Workshop 2004, 2006, 2008
- Washington State Building Code Council – Appointed to Technical Advisory Group 2012 – present during new code cycles